In a recent blog post, the CFPB introduced that it has began sharing client criticism information with native governments by means of its Authorities Portal. The Authorities Portal offers native, state, and federal authorities businesses entry to extra granular details about shoppers’ complaints and firms’ responses than the general public is ready to view by means of the CFPB’s public-facing Client Criticism Database. The CFPB indicated that this initiative is meant to “enhance the affect of our criticism information” by giving cities and counties data that can enable them to “enhance their efforts to guard shoppers on the native degree.” The initiative is per statements made by Director Chopra relating to elevated CFPB collaboration with different enforcement authorities.
The cities and counties initially chosen by the CFPB to obtain entry have been these the CFPB deemed “greatest positioned to learn from the CFPB’s criticism information” consisting of:
- Native governments with civil or prison prosecutorial authority to watch and implement their very own client safety legal guidelines in addition to force-multiply enforcement of federal client monetary safety legal guidelines equivalent to these accessible beneath the Client Monetary Safety Act; and
- Native governments which have, or which might be working to create, monetary empowerment places of work and monetary empowerment methods to enhance monetary stability for low- and moderate-income households.
To be onboarded onto the Authorities Portal, cities and counties should signal a confidentiality and information entry settlement with private information safety necessities. A metropolis or county that’s onboarded is ready to:
- See in real-time what shoppers are experiencing within the monetary market and the way firms are responding
- Obtain complaints, together with consumer- and company-provided paperwork
- Filter and export data to permit focused evaluation by time interval, firm, geography, and extra
- Examine issues their constituents are dealing with to different localities and nationwide
- Securely refer particular person complaints to the CFPB
- Obtain the checklist of firms responding to complaints by means of CFPB’s course of
The CFPB states that in a interval of lower than three months, greater than a dozen cities and counties have expressed curiosity in accessing the Authorities Portal. The collaborating jurisdictions embody:
- Division of Client and Enterprise Affairs, Los Angeles County, CA
- Workplace of the Harris County Legal professional, Harris County, TX
- Montgomery County Workplace of Client Safety, Montgomery County, MD
- Sacramento County District Legal professional’s Workplace, Sacramento, CA
- Los Angeles Workplace of the Metropolis Legal professional, Client and Office Safety, Los Angeles, CA
- New York Metropolis Division of Client and Employee Safety, New York Metropolis, NY
- Metropolis of Albuquerque Client Safety, Workplace of Coverage, Albuquerque, NM
- Metropolis of Austin, Regulatory Monitor, Workplace of Telecommunications & Regulatory Affairs, Austin, TX
- Workplace of the Columbus Metropolis Legal professional, Columbus, OH
- Workplace of Oakland Metropolis Legal professional, Oakland, CA
The CFPB’s initiative expands enforcement threat by making native governments conscious of potential violations of legislation as to which they’ve enforcement authority.